The application process and deadline for international candidates
Please check the equivalence of your Bachelor-Degree at URL http://www.anabin.de. In assessing qualifications gained in non-German educational institutions, Heidelberg University follows the regulations of the >>Kultusministerkonferenz<< (standing conference of German ministers of education and cultural affairs - KMK). These regulations are set out in the proposals made by the KMK's central office for assessing foreign educational qualifications and are mandatory guidelines in the state of Baden-Württemberg. Country-specific information on educational qualifications is to be found at: http://www.anabin.de
German and international applicants with a non-German Bachelor of Science degree (or equivalent) should send their documents to the address given below
Please register first using the online application form (see the link on the right hand side of this web page) and complete it. In addition, send a printout of the form together with the other application material specified below to the University of Heidelberg to the following address which must be reached by January 15th for summer semester and July 15th for winter semster applications, respectively:
MASTER / PHYSIK
Postfach 10 57 60
The application for admission must include the following documents:
- The completed printed version of the online application form
Officially certified photocopies or typescripts of certificates obtained from university and other tertiary education (i.e. colleges, academies etc.) including
- the relevant transcripts of individual grades per semester or academic year (transcript of records), especially those of the fifth semester if the final grade has not yet been awarded and
- the diploma supplement. In addition, if the documents are not in German or English an officially certified translation into German is required.
- a curriculum vitae
- an officially certified photocopy or typescript of the school leaving certificate that entitles the student to enter university in their country of origin (e.g. abitur, baccalauréat, GCE, A & O level, matriculation certificate, etc.) including the relevant list of individual grades. In addition, an officially certified translation in German is required (except for documents in English).
- proof of sufficient means of finance for the duration of the master course
- copy of the passport (page with name given in Latin script).
Country specific requirements
- Applicants with prerequisites from Mongolia must add to their application a confirmation of the authenticity of their educational prerequisites from the German Embassy in Ulan Bator, in the original or as an officially certified photocopy.
- Applicants with prerequisites from the People's Republic of China must attach to their application an original confirmation of the authenticity of their educational prerequisites from the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) of the German Embassy in Beijing
- Applicants with prerequisites from Vietnam must attach to their application an original confirmation of the authenticity of their educational prerequisites from the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) of the German Embassy in Hanoi.
You can apply for two majors with different priority. Applications will only be considered with an above average degree (corresponding to mark 2,9 in German grading system). The Selection process is a three-step procedure:
- An initial ranking is made based on the grade of the bachelor degree or the average grade of the last (fifth) semester, if the final grade is not yet available (max 15 points).
- An interview (max 14 points) will be held. Here you can prove your personal motivation and qualification.
- If the the sum of points scored in step 1 plus those obtained in step 2 is greater or equal to 16 points, admission to the master degree programme will be granted.
The dates for interviews are not yet fixed.
Your invitation to an interview will be sent to you electronically, i.e. via email, only.
Acceptance and admission
Should you be accepted, you will receive a letter of acceptance (Zulassungsbescheid). You require this document for your registration at the University.